Finding Firebird
When a young woman tries to rekindle her relationship with her extended family, she's forced to make a choice between her world and theirs.

Chapter 2, Scene 4

Labels:

Now that it was 4 and I was all set to go, I decided to head into the living room and watch TV while I waited for Kayde.

After flipping through the channels for 10 minutes and not finding anything interesting I decided to listen to some music. I grabbed my mp3 player and connection cord and plugged it into the stereo in the living room. I set it to shuffle and hit play, wondering what song would come on. This was my secret ritual for anything big. The first song that came on was supposed to give me some insight into how the big event would turn out. My first day of school, a first date, anything. It was usually fairly accurate in some way or another. It would show me what to watch for, or work for, or one of any number of things. Some days, I would use it just for a full day, to see what my day would be like. I knew it wasn’t a science, but it was fun.

The first song to come on what Smack, by Three Doors Down, which was kind of a trip since I had actually never heard the song. I had it on an album I had downloaded months ago, but still hadn’t heard the song. I ran to the computer, which was rarely in use, since I had a laptop and Dad seemed to hate them. Soon as it was powered up, I looked up the lyrics so that I could read them while I listened to the song.

“…don't you throw your life away
Just wait until another day.
Don't you throw your life away
cause baby I can feel it.
Don't you ever compromise it.
Don't you even realize it?
Don’t you throw your life away cause baby I can feel it now…”

To me, it sounded like my music was telling me not to waste time and that I was doing the right thing by searching out my grandparents. I couldn’t compromise with my father and wait until he was ready to talk about them; I needed to find them on my time.

Now that I had my song for the night, I had other plans with my music. The next song came on and I knew it would be a good night. I crossed the living room and turned the stereo up and began dancing singing at the top of my lungs “I take these suckers down 'cause they just get in my way!” Right in the middle of an awesome spin kick thing I glanced out of the front window and saw Kayde peeking in at me. I rushed to the door and opened it.

Readers


Labels

Recent Posts


Recent Comments