Finding Firebird
When a young woman tries to rekindle her relationship with her extended family, she's forced to make a choice between her world and theirs.

Chapter 1 Scene 4

Labels:

“What were you doing with the keys?” He asked from behind me.
    I jumped, not knowing he was there. “Hm?”
    “When you were on the phone with your dad? Why were you trying a bunch of keys in that door?” He rephrased.
    “Oh, um, I was locking my dad’s office up.” Something told me I could trust him “My father and I got into an argument last night. He and my grandmother and grandfather on my mother’s side don’t get along.  I’ll be eighteen in a few weeks and I want to invite them, but he won’t let me.  I knew he had their address so I went for a late night walk and got their address off of his office computer.  When I left I forgot to lock up and turned around and ran back to lock up.”
    “Which is when you and I bumped into each other, I assume?” He asked, finishing my story.
    “That’s the way of it, I suppose.”
    “Well, I’m glad you did.  If you hadn’t, I don’t think we ever would have met.”  He said in a low voice.  “You’ve got something on your cheek”, he whispered as he lifted his hand to my face.  He brushed my cheek so softly that I almost didn’t feel it.  The cool air hit my cheek as he pulled his hand away. Simultaneously, I grabbed his hand and moved it to my face and tilted my head, pressing my cheek against his palm.  Again, my face warmed as I began to blush, but this time it just didn’t much matter to me.
    “Your name”, I said, my voice barely making it out of my mouth.
    “Kayde… Conner”, he answered as he tilted my head up to look at him.  His green eyes pierced mine as we looked at each other.
    “Kayde, I’m Phoenix.”
    “I know”, he whispered pulling my face towards his.
    “How?” I whispered.
    “You visit my dreams.” He said quietly, and then just as softly, he kissed me. 
    No! I thought to myself. Bad! Stop! I knew kissing this man I barely knew was a terrible idea, but my body knew what it wanted. My arms reached up and linked together behind his neck and pulled my body closer to his.  I felt as if I couldn’t get close enough.   Softly, I pinched his lower lip between my teeth and then ran my tongue over it.  His arms wrapped around my waist, squeezing me closer to him.  They way our bodies fit together reminded me of the jigsaw puzzles I used to do with my father.  You spend forever looking for the perfect piece, but once you find it, it’s obvious that it belonged there.
    I finally pulled my face away. “This isn’t ok”, I told Kayde. “I can’t do this, not here. Not tonight. I’m sorry”
    “So am I”, he said.  “I was totally out of line. I didn’t mean to make you feel uncomfortable. Of course the creepy dream thing probably didn’t help.”

Readers


Labels

Recent Posts


Recent Comments