Finding Firebird
When a young woman tries to rekindle her relationship with her extended family, she's forced to make a choice between her world and theirs.

Chapter 1 Scene 2

Labels:

I was about halfway home when I realized that I hadn’t locked up.  I turned around and ran at full speed to make it back to the office.  It’s not an unsafe neighborhood but I would have hated to be the reason that my dad’s office got robbed.  I rounded the corner and slammed into a tall figure that my eyes barely registered before my body.
    “Shit!” I gasped.
    “Hey there, where’s the fire?” asked a deep, unfamiliar voice.
    Shit shit shit! I thought to myself.  Leave it to me to be the first murder of the decade in this town. “I’m sorry, I wasn’t watching where I was going I stammered, as I tried to walk around him.
    He turned towards me, “It’s ok”, he replied with what I was almost positive was a smile, “Most of us pay attention to where we’ve been or where we are headed.  My policy is that it only matters where I’m at, and I can’t think of a better place to be right now than talking to a pretty girl, such as you.”
    Heat crept up my face as I began blushing.  I could feel my cheeks fill with read and tried my hand at willing them not to do so.  “Thanks, but seriously, there must be one other place you would rather be.  At home in bed, maybe?”  Immediately, I began to regret my words, my mouth was always getting me into trouble and now I knew he would think it was an invitation.    
    “Well that depends”, he answered.
    “Oh? On what exactly?” Yep, I was right. Here it comes…
    “On whether or not you’ll be coming with me.” I knew he was going to say that. “But I’m fairly positive that you meant alone, so I think I would much rather hang out here with you.”
    “Here?  On the corner? In the dark? You have got to be kidding me.”  What is with this guy? I thought to myself. I really need to find a way to get to Dad’s office to lock the door.  Crap! Oh! Idea! “Well, ok, but I have two conditions.  One, you have to let me make a phone call so my dad doesn’t flip, and two, we walk to somewhere a bit lighter, maybe with somewhere to sit?”
    “Done”, he agreed. “Do you want some privacy for your call?  I can walk a few buildings down, if you-“
    “No, let me”, I interrupted.  I walked down to Dad’s office dialing the house with my right hand as I fished around for my keys in the purse with the other, as quietly as I could.  Great, no answer. Guess I’ll have to leave a message.  “Hi Dad, look, I know it’s a bit passed midnight, don’t freak. Stop freaking. I’m perfectly fine.” I had tried three keys in the door already without finding Dad’s office key.  “I ran into a friend from school and we’re going to hang out for a while.” I tried a fourth key, which still didn’t work and was beginning to get annoyed with my father’s lack of responsibility when it came to keys. “Give me a call if you want any thing.” I finally found the right key and locked the door.  I hung up the phone and slipped it and the keys back into my purse.

Readers


Labels

Recent Posts


Recent Comments