Finding Firebird
When a young woman tries to rekindle her relationship with her extended family, she's forced to make a choice between her world and theirs.

Chapter 1 Scene 5

Labels:

“It isn’t that you made me uncomfortable. It’s just the opposite. I feel so comfortable with you. It’s like I can tell you anything.” I explained to him, hoping he wouldn’t take my decision to stop kissing him the wrong way.

“How about this, I’ll walk you home tonight. You can take care of business and relax at home and tomorrow night, I’ll come and pick you up and take you out to dinner and we can get to know each other?” Kayde asked.

“You mean like, on a date?” I asked, shocked. I’d been on dates before, but every guy who had asked me out was someone I knew at least a bit, usually from school. I’d never been on a date with someone I didn’t know, it was exciting.

“Yes, a date. Is that ok?” It seemed as if my shock and surprise had thrown him off a bit.

“As a matter of fact, Kayde, I would love to go out with you. How does eight o'clock sound?” I said with a smile as I began to stand on the tip of my toes and kissed him on the cheek.

“Actually, eight isn’t good for me. I was thinking a bit earlier. Like, five maybe? It’s just that I had other plans for the night.” He asked, stammering a bit.

“Yes, five is fine.” I answered with a smile. Unfortunately, the smile was only masking my thoughts. Other plans like what? I wondered. Another girl? Is Friday night his marathon date night? God I hope I’m not setting myself up for some kind of weird hook up night.

“Great, let’s get you home, it’s late.” He took my hand in his. “Jesus, you’re freezing Phee, here, wear my jacket”, he said, pulling his thick brown coat off. He held it op for me and I slipped into it. I couldn’t help but feel his warmth as I put it on.

“Exactly how late is it?” I asked, to cold to pull my phone out of my purse.

“Three o’clock.” He said as he slipped his hand into mine.

Hand in hand we began the walk to my house. We were both quiet, with the exception of the occasional question, or calling the other’s attention to something.

As we arrived at my house, he walked me up to the door, took my hand and kissed it lightly, like a true gentleman. “I’ll see you tomorrow Phee.” He said as I opened the door.

I walked in the house and saw a note from my dad on the stair banister.

“Sorry about the argument Firebird, hope you can forgive me. One day I’ll explain this all to you, but I’m just not sure if either of us is ready. Remember I love you always.

“P.S There’s a plate of veggie lasagna in the microwave for you, if you’re hungry”

I grabbed the note Dad had left for me and shoved it into my purse as I walked up the stairs. As I closed my bedroom door, I tossed my purse onto my bed and then lay on my stomach and grabbed the shoebox that held all of the birthday and holiday cards sent to me by my grandparents. Right there on the top was the stationary they had sent me for my 16th birthday. Lightly lavender scented, I felt it was perfect for writing an invitation to my 18th birthday party.

I grabbed my purse and stationary and sat at my desk. I rifled through my purse to find the piece of paper that had their address on it, and found only the note from my father. Frantic, I turned my purse upside down and emptied its contents onto my desk, but my grandparents address was nowhere to be found.

It was then that I remembered I had been fiddling with it in Kayde’s garden before I got up to follow the fire. I couldn’t remember exactly to get there, and I had no way to call Kayde and ask him to help me. One after another, tears began to well up in my eyes and fall down my cheeks. Defeated, I laid my head on my desk and cried myself to sleep.

Readers


Labels

Recent Posts


Recent Comments