Finding Firebird
When a young woman tries to rekindle her relationship with her extended family, she's forced to make a choice between her world and theirs.

Chapter 4, Scene 5

Labels:

After setting down our flats, Kayde and I walked to the shed to get some gardening tools, which for one reason or another, I seemed to collect, and so I had more than enough for the four of us. As Kayde and I came out of the shed with a trowel in each hand, Flora looked at us and laughed.

“You dear, dear children. Do you honestly expect a flower faery to use a trowel?” She asked with a twinkle in her eye “I’m the kind of woman who likes to get her hands dirty!” She said, digging into the dirt.

“I prefer to stay clean, myself” Said Syle as he grabbed one of the trowels.

Kayde and I picked one up as well and started digging on the other side of the row that Flora and Syle had started on.

“You know” said Syle “You’re at quite an advantage having your grandmother here to help with the planting.”

“Why’s that?” Asked Kayde

“Let me show you.” Replied Flora.

Once her hole was big enough she pulled a basil plant out of its pot. Holding on to the base of the plant in one hand, she held it in the air in front of her eyes and stared intently for a moment. As we watched, the roots that had been wrapped around the large clump of soil seemed to move. At first I just assumed that I was seeing things, but then the roots began to twist and unwind from the dark moist soil. Kayde and I leaned forward as we watched Flora set the plant in the ground and watched as the roots pressed themselves against the walls of soil, burying themselves in the dirt. Softly, Flora pushed the pile of dirt towards the base of the plant, filling the empty spots with the soil.

For a moment, the two of us were silent as we processed that what we had just seen was real, impossible as it may have seemed.

Finally, I asked Flora “How did you do that?”

“Well, that’s part of my specialty, but with practice, it’s something every faery can learn to do.” She answered. “I can do it without words by communicating to the plant that its roots are safer and better off unwrapped from the soil and pressed into the earth.

“Now if you, or Kayde were to learn to do that, you would have to spend everyday taking care of these plants to teach them they can trust you and talking to the plants so that they know your voice and spirit. Once you do that, when you tell them they are safer and better off, they’ll listen to what you tell them and take it into consideration.”

“What do you mean? Plants can think?” Asked Kayde

“Oh yes” Answered Syle “Every single natural thing on our earth has a spirit and can think, trust and worry the same way that we can.”

“Now, since you know the secret to talking to plants, let me show you part of what is in fact part of my specialty…” Flora said, as she began to giggle.

She stood up and walked around the garden. “First, I have to make sure that I don’t put any strain on the plant by asking them if they feel strong and healthy.” She found a portion of the garden that she liked and stood in front of it. “These ones say that they are feeling strong and healthy, but could use a bit of a boost, that’s what I’m here for.” She said to us.

She began a low hum, almost too soft for me or Kayde to hear. As her humming grew louder, she kneeled down on the dirt and leaned forward, placing her hands on the ground over her head. Kayde and I watched her, curious and silent, trying to see what she was doing.

“No sweet one, watch the plants.” Said Syle quietly.

As we looked to the plants, we both gasped. Right in front of us, my garden was growing; we watched what seemed to be a week, possibly two weeks of growth right in front of our eyes. New stems, new leaves and new flower buds began to shoot out right before our eyes. One of my basils, which had not been growing well since I planted it in early May filled out before my eyes, turning from what looked like a branch stuck in the ground to a small bush.

Kayde and I were shocked with what we had seen, leaving both of us momentarily speechless. We looked back and forth from each other to the plants to my grandmother, trying to decide whether or not we should believe what we had just seen.

“Don’t worry kids” Said my grandfather. “In a few weeks, none of this will be surprising to you in the least. Which reminds me…

“In a week or so, maybe sooner, the two of you will start looking differently. Now, Kayde, I’m not sure about you, however I do know that Albert is not much one for calling attention to himself. The problem is that soon, it seems, Phoenix will be red, and she’ll have to stay that way for at least a little while until she knows how to use her glamour.”

“Oh goodness!” I said “I didn’t think about that. Neither has dad, of course, but he’s going to hate that! Oh Flora, what on Earth will we do?”

“Oh, don’t you worry your pretty little head off one bit” My grandmother reassured me. “Syle and I will figure something out as soon as we can.”

After a few moments of silence, Kayde stopped working and looked up at Syle “Why do you think her skin’s already doing these color flashes and mine isn’t?” He asked, seeming more curious than worried.

“Well, it’s highly possible that yours has actually been doing the color flashes, as you put them, but that your color will be similar to the current color of your skin. I mean, look at me, or Raven, although we were both born with our color, could you imagine trying to catch your skin changing from its current color to mine?”

“Or my mom’s” I reminded Kayde, “My mother’s skin was exactly the same color, the only difference was that it had a shimmer to it.”

“Don’t worry Kayde” said my grandmother “The fact that your skin hasn’t had any changes in color will actually make it much easier for you not only to fit in as it happens, but to learn your glamour as well.”

“Lucky bastard” I said, jokingly.

Kayde laughed and tossed a small handful of dirt into my lap. “Watch it girly.” He said laughing.

As we started on the last flat of plants, I realized it was starting to cool off which meant it was probably around five o’clock, if not after. I looked up and saw that the sun quite a bit lower than I expected it to be.

“Kayde, do you have your phone?” I asked, hoping I still had enough time to get ready without rushing.

“Sure babe, what’s up?” He asked.

“I was wondering what time it was. We’re supposed to be leaving around six, remember?” I reminded him, realizing that just maybe, gardening was not exactly the best choice before dinner.

“Oh yea, it’s um, four thirty seven.” He told me. “I guess we’ll have to save the rest of these for tomorrow. I’ve got to go home and at least change my pants, although a shower and full change of clothes would be nice, time allowing.”
“Don’t worry son, we won’t leave without you. Go ahead and take your time.” My grandfather told him.

Kayde got up and dusted his pants off and gathered up the trowels and took them to the side of the house to rinse them off with the hose. When he was out of hearing distance I leaned toward my grandmother and asked what I had been wondering since earlier.

“Last night, what you said about how a half blood comes into their power?” I started off “You said that they have to have strong feelings for the other half blood? Does that mean that Kayde feels the same way for me that I feel for him?”

“Well dear,” My grandmother said softly “The feelings don’t actually have to be positive, it could be strong feelings of hate, but seeing the way he hangs around you and looks at you definitely says that strong hate is not the case here.”

As I stood up and turned to walk toward Kayde I saw he was already almost back to us.

“I’m going to head home now babe, I’ll be back around six o’clock, ok?” He asked me.

“Yea, that sounds good. I think I need to head upstairs and start getting myself ready as well.” I told him, giving him a kiss on the cheek. “I’ll see you in a bit.”

Readers


Labels

Recent Posts


Recent Comments