Finding Firebird
When a young woman tries to rekindle her relationship with her extended family, she's forced to make a choice between her world and theirs.

Chapter 4, Scene 2

Labels:

I sighed; disappointed that it would be that much longer before I got to see Kayde. I turned and headed up the stairs with a sigh. When I got to the top of the stairs I heard another knock at the door.

“Just a moment” I heard my father shout downstairs. He was probably sticking his food in the microwave or something to keep it from attracting flies. I heard muffled voices downstairs and hoped that my father wasn’t giving my new boyfriend the third degree. Or bringing up what I had told him last night.

Mortified I grabbed a pink tank top and a pair of jean shorts and pulled them on over my bra and panties. As I ran down the stair I heard a woman’s voice that sounded familiar but I just couldn’t place a name to the voice.

As soon as I got to the bottom of the stairs and turned into the living room I realized the voice. I couldn’t place it because it was a voice I hadn’t heard in almost sixteen years. It was the voice my grandmother used to use when she would come to visit. The one she used when she used her glamour.

“Phee, look who came to visit.” Said my father in a tone that sounded like clenched teeth.

“Flora! Syle!” I said, surprised and excited. “What are you two doing here?”

Flora turned to me to explain. “Well, seeing as we never really got along with your father, we thought it would be best to come and visit with the two of you before your party so that we wouldn’t have to worry about 16 years of awkwardness coming around to visit at your eighteenth birthday party.”

“So, where’s our boy Kayde?” Asked my grandfather.

“Oh, he’s going to come over later.” I told him.

“Oh, I see”, said Syle, “Do the three of you have any plans tonight?” He asked, turning to my father as I sat down in one of the chairs in our living room.

“Not that I know of, do we, Phoenix?”

“No, we don’t, I didn’t have anything planned at least.”

“Flora and I were thinking that we could all go out to lunch or dinner tonight.” He said with a smile.

“Well, I’m sure that Kayde and I would love that, Dad, would you come with us?” I answered before my father could turn down their offer.

“Of course.” He said. “It will have to be dinner tonight though; I need to do some shopping today, for the house and for the party.”

“Sounds good to me.” Said Flora, my grandmother. “While you’re shopping, I’m sure that there are things Phoenix and Kayde want to talk to us about.”

“Yes, there are! At least on my end!” I said enthusiastically. “Like, I guess it’s more of an observation then a question but what you said about a half blood coming into their power. Does that mean tha-”

“Not that this isn’t interesting” Interrupted my father. “But it all still freaks me out a little bit, could we maybe avoid the faery talk until after I’ve gone shopping?”

I laughed at my father’s weak tolerance for anything out of the ordinary and agreed. We sat in the living room for a bit and talked about things, starting with weather, and then continuing on to food, which seemed to be the topic of choice for all four of us. We talked about favorite foods and least favorite foods, even foods we loved to eat but hated to cook. For me, it was fudge. I could eat fudge every day, but hated to cook it. As we talked and laughed, there was another knock at the door and I stood up to go answer it, assuming this time, it was Kayde.

Readers


Labels

Recent Posts


Recent Comments