Finding Firebird
When a young woman tries to rekindle her relationship with her extended family, she's forced to make a choice between her world and theirs.

Chapter 3, Scene 4

Labels:

“Kayde, it’s late, we should get home.” I told Kayde as Flora and I got into the living room.

I hugged Flora and Syle and thanked them both for being so hospitable and helping me understand things. They invited me to come back anytime, and even offered me their car keys incase I couldn’t find a ride back. Of course, Kayde wasn’t having any of that. He was incredibly protective of me for someone who had just met me the night before.

We walked to the car in silence and it wasn’t until he had started the car and pulled away from the gated forest that I decided to say something.

“Kayde?” I started, gently. “Why did you watch out for me so closely back there?”

“I don’t know quite how to explain it. I feel… linked to you, I suppose is the best way to say it.” He answered, sounding genuinely unsure.

“It’s not bad or anything” I said, trying to comfort him. “It’s just curious. I mean, we just met yesterday.”

“Yes, but it seems I’ve known you much longer.” He said softly. “Like I said, I’ve dreamt about you.”

“You were serious about that?”

“Yes, very. For months now, probably since Yule, I’ve been dreaming about you. But, you were different. Your hair was always the color of fire, your skin, always tinted red. Your face, your body, your voice, it was always the same, just the colors were different.

“That’s what was so unnerving about them; their skin was strange, colored, the way yours always is in my dreams.” He explained to me. “I guess that was why I was so quiet; I couldn’t get over the fact that you truly are going to be like those people.” He said, putting his hand over mine.

“Kayde, I have to tell you something,” I said to him nervously “And I probably shouldn’t, and I don’t know if you’re going to like it, and I’m worried you might freak out, so please please don’t be upset or angry, just be open minded.”

“Flora knew about the cone of light we saw earlier. She said that it happened because I was beginning to come into my powers. She told me the only way it could happen is if a half blood, like myself, shared an orgasm with another half blood that they have strong feelings for.” I said quickly, afraid that if I gave him a chance to interrupt, I’d never get a chance to finish.

I was hoping that he wouldn’t be upset, or angry with me, or Flora, or what I was saying she had told me. At first, Kayde said nothing, in fact, for five minutes straight, he was silent and I was afraid that he hadn’t heard me.

“You’re trying to tell me that my parents, they’re like them?” He said slowly.

“Well, yes, probably. I mean, no. I mean one of your parents. Although I suppose they could both be half bloods, like me, which would still make you a half blood.” I said all of this quickly and then noticed that once again, I was blabbing.

“Phee, I know that it’s important to you to find your grandparents. But I just have to ask, do you really and truly think that those people are your grandparents?” He asked me.

“I do, Kayde.” I answered, knowing that I meant it whole heartedly. “They talk like my grandparents do in letters to me. They talk so well of my mother. They knew her, they knew me, and they knew my father. Even the writing in the scrap book and the photo, Kayde, there’s no doubt about it. Flora and Syle are definitely my grandparents.”

“If you believe that they are your grandparents, and that you can trust them, I will trust and believe this story about the light earlier.” He said, looking at me as we pulled up outside of my house. “Do you want me to come in with you?

“No, I have to do this on my own.” I told him as I took a deep breath. “Thank you Kayde, this is the most amazing night I’ve ever had.”

I leaned over the center console to kiss him lightly on the cheek. He turned his head at the last minute and wove his fingers through my hair as he kissed my lips passionately.

“I’ll see you tomorrow beautiful.” He told me. “That is, if you don’t have any plans, of course.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow, Kayde.” I answered for him, kissing him again softly.

I turned toward the car door and let myself out of the car. My breathing was slow and deep as I summoned the courage to have the conversation with my father that was a long time coming. Hopefully it wasn’t too late and he hadn’t gone to sleep yet. I checked my phone to see exactly how late it was and was shocked to see that it was just barely past eleven o’clock. I was sure that by the time we left the hill it was at least ten. It was as if we hadn’t even visited Flora and Syle at all.

Readers


Labels

Recent Posts


Recent Comments