Finding Firebird
When a young woman tries to rekindle her relationship with her extended family, she's forced to make a choice between her world and theirs.

Chapter 4, Scene 3

Labels:

Even though I had figured it would have been Kayde when I opened the door, I was pleasantly surprised to see his playful smile and mischievous eyes looking back at me.

“Phee, I’ve done something horrible.” He told me. “But now I don’t feel quite so bad, knowing that you forgot all about your roses!”

“Oh Kayde, I didn’t forget about them, I’m planning to plant them today.” I told him laughing. “I just haven’t had a chance yet since we’ve got company.”

“Oh? Should I be worried?” He asked me.

“No, not at all. At least, I don’t think so.” I answered, hoping he wasn’t still uncomfortable with my grandparents. “What exactly is this terrible thing you’ve done?

“Oh, um… come to the car with me real fast.” He said, grabbing my hand and pulling me towards his open passenger door.

“Kayde, I can’t go anywhere with you. I have no shoes on and there are people in my house trying to spend time with me.” I hissed at him.

“We’re not leaving. Just look in the back seat.” He told me.

I leaned over into the car and saw flats and flats of different herb, fruit and vegetable plants.

“Oh Kayde! Are these?” I stopped myself before asking, afraid that I would end up making an assumption that wasn’t accurate.

“Yes sweetness, they’re for you.” He answered, putting his arms around me. “You probably have some of it, but there’s nothing wrong with expanding a garden, is there?”

“No!” I exclaimed. “Not at all! Not ever!”

“Alright, I think I’ve kidnapped you long enough, shall we go back inside with your visitors? I’m sure your father is dying to meet me as well.”

Kayde draped his arms around my shoulders and we walking back to the house. As we got up onto the porch, we could hear arguing.

Oh no. Already? I thought to myself, knowing exactly what had happened, I broke into a run into the house and Kayde chased me in.

“You think that just because she’s like you, you can take her under your wing and teach her all your weird crap? I’m not letting my daughter turn into some kind of weird ass dirt worshipper!” Yelled my father. “I am not going to allow you to corrupt-”

I rushed between my father and my grandparents as Kayde stayed standing at the entrance to the living room. “I don’t know how this happened, nor do I even care, but you guys will NOT argue around me.” I said in a firm voice. “Dad, I’d like you to meet Kayde. Kayde, this is my father, Albert.”

“Nice to meet you, sir.” Said Kayde, obviously feeling a bit out of place and uncomfortable.

“You too son.” Replied my father, obviously still seething about what ever had taken place while I was outside with Kayde. “I understand my daughter is rather taken with you, so I figured I should stick around and meet you.”

Kayde moved to my grandparents and offered his hand to Syle. “It’s nice to meet-”

“Didn’t we do this part last night?” Asked my grandfather, laughing as I realized Kayde wasn’t familiar with my grandparents in their glamoured forms.

“Kayde, that’s Syle” I told him. “And that’s Flora. They used their glamour to come and visit with us today. They’d like to take us out to dinner tonight, are you free?”

“Yea, I don’t have any plans today other than seeing how long it will take of me hanging around before you kick me out.” He said, laughing at his own joke.

“I think now’s a good time for the shopping. I’ll be back by six o’clock for dinner, sound good?” Asked my dad.

“Yes, six sounds fine” Said Flora to my father kindly.

Readers


Labels

Recent Posts


Recent Comments