Finding Firebird
When a young woman tries to rekindle her relationship with her extended family, she's forced to make a choice between her world and theirs.

Chapter 4, Scene 4

Labels:

After my father had left I remembered the plants in Kayde’s back seat and all the letters and cards that my grandparents had sent talking about the different things they had planted that spring or summer and such.

“Would you guys like to help Kayde and I plant some stuff in the garden?” I asked Syle and Flora.

“Oh dear one, we’d love to! We can show you some tricks too.” Said Flora with a wink.

As the four of us walked out to the car, Kayde asked his first question about being a Half Blood.

“So, this whole ‘glamour’ thing? Is that something Phee and I will be able to do?”

“Yes”, said Syle “You will, of course, it will take practice, like everything else, your specialty will come first, and faster, the other stuff, like everything else in life, takes time.”

We got to the car and each took one flat of plants and headed to the back yard. As we were walking, Kayde stopped for a minute and just started to stare at me.

“What is it babe?” I asked him, confused.

“Nothing… I just thought I saw something.” He said, still looking confused.

“Like what?” Asked Flora.

“Nothing, it was just a trick of the light or something, I’m sure.” He answered and kept walking.

“Kayde?” I said his name somewhat softly. “What did you see?”

He looked at me with eyes that seemed to be full of worry or confusion, but I wasn’t sure which.

“Your skin. It was… Well, red.” He said, giving me a strange look. “Just for a second though, nothing to worry about, I’m sure.”

“Red skin, you said?” Asked Syle. “I know it seems impossible boy, but you saw us last night, my skin as pale as snow, Flora’s green as leaves. Phee’s red skin could give us an insight into what her specialty will be.”

“Earlier, when I was sitting on the porch, I thought I saw my skin turn red as well. I thought I was just seeing things, so I wrote it off as nothing.” I told Syle, Flora and Kayde. “You think this means my specialty will have to do with something red?” I asked.

“Not think dear one, we know.” Said Flora “For now, why don’t we go into the back yard and plant and talk.” She said, as she began walking again.

Syle, Kayde and I all followed her around the side of the house to the back yard.

Readers


Labels

Recent Posts


Recent Comments