Finding Firebird
When a young woman tries to rekindle her relationship with her extended family, she's forced to make a choice between her world and theirs.

Chapter 4, Scene 1

Labels:

The morning sun was bright and warm, the way it should be in the middle of July. I woke up much earlier than I expected, probably because I went to sleep at midnight but to me, it felt more like two in the morning. Dad was still asleep, so I decided to get up and make some food.

I pulled my robe on and headed down stairs to the kitchen. It was incredibly warm in the house so I walked around opening the windows and then decided to open the door as well. It seemed quiet and peaceful outside so instead of breakfast, I made myself a nice pot of Mint Magic tea and sat outside on the porch swing listening to the birds. Everything seemed different today. Calmer, quieter, and happier. Even the birds seemed to be singing a different song.

I sat drinking my tea and thinking about last night. Apparently, I was a Faery. Well, I was half Faery. What my specialty was, so to speak, I didn’t yet know, but according to my grandparents, I would soon enough. And so would Kayde. I realized that seeing as I couldn’t come into my powers without the help of another Half Blood who I had strong feelings for, it was the same for Kayde, which meant he had strong feelings for me as well. It wasn’t until that thought popped in my head that I realized at some point today, Kayde would be coming over, and to the best of my knowledge, my dad would probably be home.

I looked at my watch to see what time it was and for just a moment, my skin looked as though it had a slight reddish tint to it. Inspecting my arm closely, I decided that there was no way my arm had been red. It must have been a trick of the light, or my eyes, or mind, or well, something, because I was very obviously not turning red.

I picked up my tea pot and cup and headed back into the house for breakfast. After setting the pot and cup down on the counter I opened my refrigerator and started searching for something to cook up. After a through hunt of the fridge and kitchen I decided that the most sensible dinner would probably be an omelet. I pulled 3 eggs off of the door and some pepper jack cheese off the shelf and set the two on the counter. I pulled out some mushrooms, onions and garlic and sautéed them in some butter. As they were cooking, I chopped some thyme, chives, oregano and basil in the food processor and then mixed them with the eggs. Once the mushrooms, onions and garlic were done, I poured them into a bowl and then poured the eggs into the pan. After letting the eggs thicken up a bit I sprinkled a bit of pepper jack cheese over the eggs, then poured the mushroom, onions and garlic onto half of the pan and covered them with a pile of pepper jack cheese and flipped the other half of the egg over the pile of veggies and cheese. The minute I took the omelet out of the pan and sprinkled a bit of cheese and hot sauce over the top, I heard my dad coming down the stairs.

“Smells good down here Phee, what’s for breakfast?” He asked.

“Well”, I told him “I just made myself an omelet with mushrooms and onions and garlic.”

“And nothing for your dear old Dad, huh kid?” He asked laughing.

“Nope. Nothing. Because someone, who shall remain nameless, forgot to do the grocery shopping again.” I told him teasingly, “Someone who has been in charge of the shopping for the past sixteen years, might I add…

“By the way, here’s the list for the party. Next weekend, remember?” I told him, hoping we wouldn’t have a situation like my sweet sixteen where he had to rush out the morning of and buy food and cook all day.

As I was heading into the living room to eat, there was a knock on the door. I handed my dad the omelet and winked at him. “Just so you know, this is a bribe to buy food today…” I told him as I headed for the door. “This is probably Kayde, so be nice.” I nearly begged.

“Wait. Phee, if that’s Kayde, shouldn’t you put some clothes on?” Asked my father.

I rolled my eyes. “Did you just forget everything I said last night?” I asked him.

“No, I purposely blocked it out. Please put some clothes on before you make me remember.” He said, setting down the plate and walking to the door. “Don’t make me invoke my parental rights, kid.” He said walking past me.

Readers


Labels

Recent Posts


Recent Comments