Finding Firebird
When a young woman tries to rekindle her relationship with her extended family, she's forced to make a choice between her world and theirs.

Chapter 6, Scene 1

Labels:

When I woke up, we were parked in a parking garage and Kayde was saying my name softly. Everything was dark and I was incredibly tired, annoyed, and just plain grumpy.

“Where are we?” I asked, although, hissed might be a more appropriate word.

“We’re just parking here, there’s a direct link, so to speak, to their house” Said Kayde. “Don’t worry, you’re just grumpy because you’re tired.”

I glared up at Kayde as we got out of the car.

“Ooh, you’re cute when you’re grumpy.” He said laughing.

We walked around to the back of the car and Kayde opened it up. Kayde pulled out his suitcase and laughed.

“Yep, you’re definitely a girl…” He said quietly as I began pulling my back pack out of the trunk.

Kayde leaned forward and pulled out my two suitcases for me. He handed the smaller of the two to me and carried his and my larger one. We followed Flora and Syle to an elevator and waited for it to arrive. Either the elevator took about 10 minutes to show up, or I was so immensely tired that it felt like it had taken 10 minutes to show up, because by the time it got to us, I was leaning against Kayde and close to falling asleep. I stood up, slightly embarrassed at my inability to make it more than a few minutes without passing out.

Kayde handed me my things and the four of us loaded into the elevator car. When I got inside, I was shocked at the buttons, which instead of numbers, for levels, they had words. For a moment, it didn’t connect with me, until I realized that the button my grandfather had pressed was Rose. So it wasn’t words on the buttons, it was names.

I wonder why they’ve got names instead of numbers or words, or fruits, like at the mall or something. I wondered to myself. My question was answered when the doors opened around a minute or two and we were right at my grandparent’s front door.

My grandfather opened the door and held it open for Kayde and I and then went into the kitchen.

Once my grandfather had left the room, my grandmother turned to us.

“This is a sensitive subject for Syle, since, even though you’re an adult and have come into your powers, he still sees you as his grandbaby.” She explained. “The two of you have two choices while you’re here and those choices are to either share Raven’s room, share the living room, or Kayde staying in the living room while Phee sleeps in Raven’s bedroom.

“Of course, I’m going to leave the decision up to the two of you, who am I to get involved in your sleeping arrangements?” My grandmother finished up and then walked into the kitchen with Syle.

Kayde and I walked over to the couch and sat down next to each other. For a few minutes, Kayde and I sat next to each other in silence. What will he think if I tell him he can stay in the room with me? I don’t want him to think I’m eager to move in with him or anything. I thought to myself. But what if I tell him I’d rather for him to sleep in the living room? Then he’ll think I don’t want him in the bedroom with me, and oh boy do I want him in that room with me.

At the same time, Kayde and I turned to each other.

“You can sleep in the room if you want to.” I said.

“I wouldn’t mind if you wanted me to sleep in the living room.” Kayde said to me at the exact same time.

“I just don’t want you to be uncomfortable.” He finished.

“I would just hate for you to feel uncomfortable though.” I told him.

We laughed together and Kayde wrapped an arm around me and looked at me. “I would love to stay in the bedroom with you, unless it would make you feel uncomfortable.” He said right before he kissed me.

“Yes, I want you in the bedroom with me.” I answered for him.

Kayde and I stood up to take our things in the bedroom just as Flora was coming out of the kitchen.

“Now that you two have things settled, why don’t you go ahead and take your things to the bedroom while I finish up this pot of tea?”

“Go ahead and rest, love” Said Kayde to me “I’ll take our things in the room.”

He took the suitcase and back pack from me and carried our things into the bedroom.

While I was waiting for him to come back, my grandmother and grandfather came in with a pot of tea and four tea cups and saucers on a tray.

“This is a special blend of herbs to help with restful sleep” Flora explained “It’s sweetened with Stevia leaves so that you don’t use sugar or honey, which contains natural sugars.”

Kayde walked back in the living room from putting our things in the bedroom. He sat down next to me and leaned forward to pour a cup of tea for himself and for me as well as he listened to my grandmother explain the tea a bit more.

“The reason I wanted to make this is because it helps the imbiber to sleep deeply, which will help keep you from having dreams that may cause your power to act up. It’s been drank in the Faery community for decades to help Fae who are just coming into their powers sleep well and not have to worry about power hiccups.”

Kayde and I lifted our glasses and each took a sip of the tea, which it seemed we both found delicious. The four of us sat around talking, or more accurately, Kayde and I sat on the couch listening to funny stories about Fae who thought they could handle not having to drink the tea when they were coming into their power.

My favorite was a story of Flora’s niece, my second cousin, Alva. She had a baby boy, named Caleb, who was born an animal Faery. Alva was worried about the impact of the tea on infant’s health, so she decided not to give him the tea. One night she woke up and heard Caleb crying. When she went into the nursery to check on him his bedroom had filled with animals that had crawled through the window.

After we had finished a second cup of tea, Kayde and I decided to head off to bed. I hugged my grandmother and grandfather and thanked them for their hospitality and Kayde and I walked toward the bedroom.

Readers


Labels

Recent Posts


Recent Comments