Finding Firebird
When a young woman tries to rekindle her relationship with her extended family, she's forced to make a choice between her world and theirs.

Chapter 5, Scene 1

Labels:

“Oh Kayde!” I exclaimed “What on earth am I going to do? I can’t very well go around setting things on fire out in public every time someone pisses me off!”

Kayde moved closer to me and put his arm around me, obviously not sure what to say or do. He was sweet though and put his hand on to the back of my head and pulled my head to his shoulder when he saw my eyes fill with tears.

I was both pleasantly surprised and incredibly unhappy with myself at that point. Even though I wasn’t able to stop myself from starting the fire, I was able to set the log on fire by keeping my eyes on it and nothing else while I was upset. But what if… What if I was arguing with someone? I thought to myself. What if my father and I got into another argument about my grandparents? What if I couldn’t stop myself and he ends up being what I am looking at? I couldn’t stand the possibility of that.

“Phee, look at me sweetie.” Kayde said to me, putting his hand on my chin and lifting it, not giving me much of a choice to avoid looking at him. “Syle and Flora will figure something out. They both know how dangerous it is for both you and your father to stay there with them. Just because they disagree on some things, they have no plans to let you have a chance to hurt your father in any way, shape, or form.”

It was almost as if he had read my mind. He was already incredibly intuitive. What if he ended up being some kind of mind reader Faery? Did that happen? It wasn’t very natural. Was it possible to have a power, a specialty that didn’t focus on some aspect of nature? It sounded like a stretch to me, but I didn’t see why it would be impossible. Nothing was impossible; at least that was what I always liked to believe.

“I don’t think it’s impossible at all, babe.” Kayde answered the questions I hadn’t really asked. “In fact, I think it’s completely possible.”

I looked up at Kayde, both shocked and surprised, and even still, a bit confused. I didn’t think he had changed his color at all, but as I looked up, I saw his skin was glowing, almost as brightly as the moon, and his normally dark hair had turned an amazing, light shade of lavender.

“Oh Kayde! What on earth are we going to do?” I asked, trying to find out how to fix this, how to get in touch with my grandparents. “We need to get back to my house; my father would know what to do.”

“No, we can’t go to your father’s.” He answered “First of all, it’s not safe for either of you, and secondly, I look like a damn fog light, if that doesn’t bring attention to us, I don’t know what the hell will.”

I knew he was right and I was incredibly annoyed with it.

“Calm down babe.” He said as he put his hand on my shoulder. “We have to stay calm, remember?”

I took a few deep breaths and leaned back against the couch with my eyes closed so that I could try to figure out some kind of solution.

“Phee, remember when I told you about sex magick?” Kayde asked softly.

“Yes, of course I remember.” I told him. It was right after the most amazing sex I had ever had, why wouldn’t I remember it?

“Well, I knew about it because my parents were pagans. My mother was Wiccan, a Witch, and my father was a Shaman. Although now I understand their magick a bit more clearly.

“My parents were the one’s who taught me about sex magick, well, all magick really. I have their Book of Shadows up there. I like to browse through it sometimes for holidays and such. I remember seeing a spell for summoning Faeries. I’m pretty sure I have everything we’d need, if you’d like to give it a try.”

“Well, why not?” I answered “It’s not just our best bet right now; it’s kind of our only bet as well.”

“Ok, I’ll run upstairs and grab the Book of Shadows and the supplies from up there; will you go in the kitchen at the end of the hall and grab the powdered sugar and a sugar spoon?” Kayde asked.

“Sure babe” I told him “I’ve just got a quick question. What’s a sugar spoon?”

“Um… You know the tiny little spoons that you see people use with sugar bowls?” He explained

“Oh, ok, got it. Powdered ginger and sugar spoon.” I said again, more for myself than for him.

Kayde turned and headed up the stairs and I walked down the hallway, admiring the art as I headed towards the kitchen. I opened each cabinet, finding lovely dishes in most of them. The last few were full of non-perishable food, and then the very last one was full of tons of small jars each full of some kind of herb or spice. They were labeled and organized alphabetically, so it was fairly easy to find the powdered ginger.

Next I started opening drawers looking for the sugar spoon. It was found easily, three drawers into my search. I walked back into the living room and sat on the floor next to the warmth of the fire as I waited for Kayde to get back down stairs. Only a few minutes later Kayde was walking back down the stairs somewhat resembling Santa Clause.

Readers


Labels

Recent Posts


Recent Comments